“I believe by prioritizing the environment, community will come. It will take a hell of a lot of education and communication but I believe that new and future residents desperately want to get back to basics. They already are and will continue to seek greener and cleaner communities where they can live and grow their families and healthier generations to come, while enjoying a greater quality of life. Healthy community is about respect for life, in all its forms.”
– Luigi Santaguida
The following is a list of some of Luigi’s most notable community involvements:
- He represented the developers’ perspective on what it takes to advance the sustainability and leadership of responsible building and related community initiatives at Toronto’s 2016 Rethink Sustainability Initiatives leadership exchange, The New Leadership Opportunity – in an Uncertain Future.
- He has been a board member of the Hospital for Sick Children Foundation and has also served on the boards of Villa Charities and the Social Enterprise Development Initiative, a not-for-profit entity.
- He is the 5th Canadian and the 128th person on the planet to participate in and complete the 4 Deserts Challenge, Racing the Planet to raise money for several supported charities. He raced in Egypt, China, Chile, and Antarctica.
- He is a member of the Young President’s Organization (YPO), the World President’s Organization (WPO), the Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD), and the Hamilton-Halton Home Builders’ Association (HHHBA).
- In April 2015, the National Congress of Italian Canadians awarded Luigi the Ordine Al Merito for his contributions to the Italian Canadian community, and to Canadian society as a whole.
- He also took part in The Covenant House Sleep Out, an event where volunteers sleep outside to raise funds for The Covenant House who serve more than 51,000 young people a year. Both Louie and his wife, MaryLou Santaguida, have worked closely with Covenant House for over a decade. MaryLou Santaguida created one of their most esteemed charity events : The Mother’s Day Celebrity and Fashion Evening. She was head of the committee and ran this event successfully for a number of years. This event brought in bountiful abundance to Covenant House.